Tuesday, March 24, 2009

LIGHTS, NEIGHBORS, AND SAMMY

A few months ago
our electrical power failed.
Houses became dark.
How did I spend that time?
I could have lighted my oil lamp
or lit some candles.

Instead, even with candles and
matches at hand, I sat in the dark
for a time, and remembered
all the "glads" I have experienced
in my life.

The first glad that came to mind
was the gift that my husband,
(now deceased,) gave me in 1950,
the home I live in.
Every night, after his work as an engineer,
George, in three years,
built the comfortable home in
which I live, and in which we lived together,
until his death in 1984.

NEIGHBORS
A second glad I have
are warm hearted neighbors
who when I needed it,
have helped me.
The presence
of my neighbors, as friends,
is a great treasure!

So many other glads tumbled
into my mind that
I almost missed seeing
the exact moment
the power returned.

How blessed we are
that our towns
and our utilities
support our lives with
lights, and water
and security.

GLADNESS AND SADNESS

I am glad that eleven years ago
a hunting beagle
outran his hunting pack,
and came to my daughter's home.
His owner came, but only for the
expensive collar the dog wore.
The owner said, "I will not keep
a disobedient dog."

"If you want the dog,
you can have him."
My daughter knew she
couldn't keep the dog,

Living in the country, my daughter cares
for cats who come by, cats without homes.
After neutering, the cats have, from Jean,
a heated igloo to live in,
food, and running water to drink,
and even
the choice to come inside the
family's house.
Some cats will visit briefly, but
choose to live outdoors.

Now a dog had come who needed a home.
Who would give a home to a needy dog?
Jean pondered but only for a minute,
A name came into her mind
of a person who might well keep the
dog and enjoy him.
Of course, it was her mother, me.

The two year-old beagle came to
live with me.
Jean and I named him "Sammy."
Smmy and I have shared a home
for eleven years.

We both grew older together.
I enjoyed Sammy, however,
I failed to notice how
deep my feelings had become
for SAMMY.

Earlier in the month Sammy developed
a disability, the vet was unable
to correct. Sammy had to
be euthanized.

With Sammy's death,
and in my tears
I realize now how deep my
love for Sammy had grown.
Sammy was my very good friend
who now I have lost.

Memories of our years together
comfort some, but tears
remind me that when a
loved one leaves us,
even if the loved one is a dog,
the emptiness brings us tears.


I wonder if a time will come when
I will be able to remember
the joy of my twelve years
with Sammy,
without having tears for
my loss.

Marylee Manson Armour
November 16,2008

No comments: